Karen writes: Penalty for neglecting maintenance


Lower leg problems at the end of last week (tight calves putting pressure on the Archilles tendons) meant I strayed seriously from the training programme.   I’m a bit sad about that, having worked so hard and passed through the heaviest weeks it would have been nice to finish the programme off successfully.  Lesson learned, don’t muck around with ongoing injury, get it sorted early. The trip to the sports massage people left me regretting my inattention, I had let my calves get very ‘knotted up’, and the treatment was long, uncomfortable, and required some days off, which were also long and uncomfortable (whoever thinks massage is a treat, think again).  On the weekend I had a 23km run around my favourite country roads on the Whangarei heads, but was unable to enjoy even that as much as I usually would, for while I didn’t have any of the normal pain, I was tired and grumpy and feeling out of sorts, and of course worried.  What happens if I lose my fitness (the brain says “don’t be daft” but you cant help but visualise your fitness draining away), what happens if the problem doesn’t go away in the next 13 (YES, THIRTEEN) days, what happens if I crash out now…will I ever be able to be fit enough for Ironman?  Arrrrghhhhhh!  

But Monday brings relaxed feeling legs, no Archilles pain, and hopefully tomorrows followup massage appointment will have me in top shape at a time when the planned distances are dropping away to next to nothing in preparation for the event.  I managed to try out my new blue singlet, hard to tell if it was going to cause any problems as it was under the camelpac, but there weren’t any obvious chafes or sore bits in the 2 ½ hours I was on the road, the newest new shoes are broken in, the newest new socks seem to be ok (no hot feet, blisters or pressure points), and I tried out some powerbar chew things in cola flavour which were very pleasant (anything is pleasant if you haven't had to use it for hours and hours and hours on the road) and didn’t cause any stomach upsets.  Roll on the 28th I think I am almost ready! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles