kate writes: Perth

My legs hurt, my feet are sore, but I did it! 4hours 46 minutes, wow 33minutes faster than the last Marathon. It seems a long time since we got up at 3:45 am. breakfast and a careful time getting dressed and off for the big race. There were not a huge number of us but we were all very excited. It was Dark when we started off, quite fast and down hill. I soon got into my own stride and Karen went off. I soon got talking to 2 people who had arrived the night before from South Africa. The All Blacks had lost the rugby, but that's ok we can still win the world cup. Any way we got talking about Marathons that we had done. They had been to the great wall of China to do one, also New York and Paris. Karen and I plan to do the Paris one, but China, not thought of that one.
I was having a great run and was enjoying myself. next person I ran with was a solider who was running in full gear. I do not usually go up to strangers and start talking, but as I got closer to him I realized he was running for WA Diabetes. We had something in common. His Grandfather had diabetes and that was why he was fundraising. I soon left him behind as he was a little slow and ran with another man who was struggling. He had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and was trying to get fit and lose wt. Left him behind too. I started to get close to the half way sign. loads of people around by now. They were getting ready to start their 1/2 marathon. The cheers for me as i ran by were very encouraging. I ran the 1/2 in 2hours 10mins. very fast. Then came the one and only big hill. just too much and I had to walk up the hill. We then turned into the Park. it was great, loads of trees. The next moment a bike went past and a thunder of feet as the first 1/2 marathon runners came by. Next thousands of runners, I was over come! how was I going to manage all these people. But it just spurred me on. Actually I could not stop as there was no where to stop. As the runners went by they cheered me on. well done u go marathon runner. It was great. All the way to the sea I was encouraged. It was the Indian Ocean. I do not think I have seen it before so a new one for me. I ran over the finish line very excited. I had done what I had set out to do. Get over the line in under 5hours. Thanks Perth it was great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles