Karen writes: Cycle distance up to 66km...100 more to go!

I had an Annual Leave day today.   Sometimes there just isn't enough time to do everything so a day away from work is in order.   This morning I needed to be a proper Mum for a change and go to the big daughter's school assembly to watch her and her friends doing hip-hop.    Then I decided I couldn't possibly miss the opportunity to go for a bikeride, and concocted some sort of mad logic that fresh air, and generating a bit of heat through exercise would knock off my cold.    A short ride was what I promised myself.

Nearly 3 slow, blustery hours later I got home, coughed my way up the driveway, dragged through the shower and into bed.   You know you probably shouldn't be on the road when you figure out that the reason the chin strap on your helmet is uncomfortable is because of your swollen glands.   Oh yeah, of course I should have known better, but a few hours sleep, another box of tissues, don't feel too bad now.  Plus...and it is a big plus, I can have tomorrow completely off without guilt because I have done the weeks programmed long ride early!  A weekend day, a sleep in, bliss....and be nicely rested for the Sunday big run.

The cycling is more of a pleasure now, I especially enjoy being able to see so much from the bike.   Like today I saw the new re-election billboard of New Zealands top politician positioned at a T intersection out the back of Takanini.  In the car I wouldn't see that whoever put the board up has in effect pierced the nose of the famous face with a big silver screw, gave me a giggle anyway, I might be the only person to ever notice that!  The long ride distance is going up by about 10km per week and this is relatively painless, just time consuming.  By the time I get up to the threatened 150km much of  every Saturday will be disappearing under the bike wheels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles