Karen writes: Bike fixed, new tyres, and new programme

Picked my road-bike up from the shop on Saturday, something in the front axle had packed up apparently which explains the nasty noises, so that was replaced and greased.  Various other neglected bits were tightened up, and I am now the proud owner of two new bald tyres.  I have resisted getting those tyres without tread up till now, I had it in my head that the speed loss from the wee bit of extra grip was made up for by being safer in the sorts of places and conditions I ride in.  But I have, as they say, 'bitten the bullet'.   Does that make me a real cyclist now?   I haven't had the courage to get on and try it out yet!
A very pleasant run yesterday morning with the Te Puru runners, this was the occasional 'away' run and we met up at Kawakawa bay, a glorious spot about 45 minutes further round the coast from Maraetai.   A relaxed run along the narrow winding roads with the beautiful sea down the cliff on one side, the bush on the other, and at the end of the road some beach and rock running then a trail up a steep hill then down through the bush to a perfect and isolated beach.   Then back for icecream.  The whanau got to play on the beach and fish in the rockpools while I ran, they eventually agreed that it was a nice change from being parked in front of the electronic babysitter while I go out to run as usually happens.

This week is the start of another 5 week programme which takes me up to the 160km Taupo cycle.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, peaking at a 120km ride, which will still take me around 5 hours one Saturday, but that wasn't as bad as the previously threatened 150km peak!   I missed this week's long ride, I cant afford to miss any more as the focus has to now be on cycling, but I also still feel like I am lagging behind with the swimming, unlike Kate who seems to be thriving in the pool.   I don't aim to be fast, but in 7 weeks time at the Rotorua half Ironman I need to be coming out of the water after that 2km swim feeling fresh.   When this programme is finished it will be only a few weeks to Christmas...that's a worry too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles