Karen writes: 2 training events down, one to go

Home safe after a busy weekend.   The trip to Taupo for the annual cycle challenge starts the excitement, there is something about spotting that first car with bikes on the back or inside or as is the case quite often these days, stuck on the roof.  You feel like you are part of some sort of exodus from the city, on a mission.

No problems with the trip itself and we were happy with the accommodation which was a backpackers called Berkenhoff's.  It was clean, friendly, and I don’t know what it’s normally like, but filled with cyclists it was a quiet place to be, especially considering it had it's own bar with plenty of character.   I had to laugh, some people do the backpacker thing as part of miss-spending their youth, I feel like I am taking the opportunity to miss-spend my middleage (not really, I think I have forgotten how to).

The ride.  Hmmm... we woke up at about 1am with the doors and windows banging, the trees whipping and the wind howling round the building.  At daylight it didn’t look good outside, we debated about layers and windproofs and waterproofs and ear-covers, and then riding down to the beach being buffeted about we were thinking about the unthinkable…not riding.   We tucked our anxiety away and kept going and were glad we did.  Down at the startline, instead of having to get into the groups to leave at different times, we were ushered up to nearer the front and left much earlier than we normally would. It turned out the mountain bikers had their race cancelled because of trees falling in the bush, and the lake was covered in whitecaps and looking wild.  There were continuous warnings over the loud speaker about being careful in the wind on the peaks and watching out for debris. It was also obvious that people were pulling out, there were messages being passed about those who had already decided against riding, and it was all a bit scary really, but by then the sun was coming out.   

On the road we got separated pretty quickly, Kate got in the middle of a group of faster riders, and I ended up in the middle of another group, and I didn't take long to realise I wasn’t going to have my best ride.  I was feeling tired and out-of-sorts, and I have to admit each hill was an unusual struggle.   I figure out after a while I was overdressed and then took too long to get bothered enough to stop and take my jacket off, I felt better when I did.  I needed more water than I usually do, those hills and that wind does dry you out.  I caught up with Kate a few times and said "don’t wait",  I really didn’t want to feel under pressure to keep up as she was doing so well, she was racing! 

Anyway, I finished at about 7 hour 43, that knocked over quarter of an hour off last years time, which was pretty good considering the wind.   Nothing hurts today, probably wouldn't want to test out a bike seat for a few days though.

Kate and some of the 10000 new friends
The stories are always the thing that make the event for me, we ran across other people who were signed up for next years Ironman, and always you promise to look out for them at whatever event, who knows, we might recognise a face, but it is so nice how supportive and encouraging these experienced athletes are.

So another event down, I haven't got the next part of my programme taking me through to the Half Ironman, but I don’t think that is an excuse to do nothing tomorrow, Taupo was a training ride after all! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles