Karen writes: Pests

I got out of the house for my last long ride before Taupo as soon as it was light enough to see.   I nearly didnt go, my body was sore after yesterdays deep tissue massage, usually I would allow at least 24-36 hours before exercising after something like that.   But I wasn't going to get my ride if I didn't go Saturday morning, so off I headed for the planned 100km.

Got to the bottom of the driveway, left was the flat route, right 'there be hills'.   I went left, but a km along the road I told myself off and turned back the other way.

A little way along the road past Beachlands I saw something grey scoot across the road, it was a large rat.  Now the roads around there have big drains alongside them, this rat was going so fast it leapt the drain but miscalculated and crashed head-first into the the clay bank and rolled inelegantly down.   I just caught a glimpse of the bedraggled rodent having a bit of a wobble and then sprinting off into the scrub as I passed, and thought at least my day is going better than that!

Not for long...then came THE magpie


A cyclist had warned me
Then I saw you on the pole
Surveying your domain, 
You didnt deign to see me


I rode hurriedly past
Pleased to miss the Whitford terror
The sun was behind me, 
Then so were you


A thump on the shoulder
Feather scrape my cheek
When I stopped squealing, 
I heard bird laughter


But don't think you've won
Piebald menace, sky scourge, 
When there's 20k between us, 
I'll call you rude names and wave my fist at you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles