Karen writes: Taupo cycle challenge, what worked and what didn't

You always look back at what you do for any event, but especially the more challenging ones.  Now this is what I did on the day, Kate did something different, and so would every other rider out there on the course, you listen to other people then figure out what works for you.  

Beforehand we talked lots (obviously) about whether we should even go because of the strong winds, and decided on the strategy of forgetting our time goal, putting finishing and safety first.  We committed to not giving up until at least 100km if it was just ‘hard’, because after all, we needed a long ride this weekend, if we missed this one we would just have to go home and do it anyway.  We would have stopped if we thought it was too dangerous however.  Kate had been told that in the wind it is a good idea to keep peddling to improve stability, that seemed to help, as did tucking in with other riders.

I ended up wearing:
whitecaps on the lake!
  • Light singlet made out of one of those moisture wicking sports fabrics under a standard cycle top, never wear cotton or a fabric which keeps moisture near your skin, you will chafe, and more importantly chill.
  • White sun protector arm warmers, these are WONDERFUL 
  • I started out with a cycle rain jacket, the sort I would normally use in wet weather rather than my light wind resistant jacket. I should have taken this off much earlier, but I was worried about getting cold in the wind and I could see Kate in the distance and was too proud (foolish) to stop!   
  • Cycle shorts with moderate padding, plenty of Chafe-Ease.  Make sure the shorts are a firm fit, when they get even slightly loose the edge of the pad digs in and can hook on the seat when you stand up to pedal.   Some shorts work, some don’t, it’s a matter of trial and error.
  • Light cool-dry cycle socks, and checked shoe cleats for excessive wear beforehand.
  • ‘Ear warmer’ which is just a strip of fabric that sits under the helmet covering the ears (might need to take your earrings out if wearing one of these)
  • Heaps of sunscreen, the highest protection factor I could find was 50+, and  ‘sports’ type to minimise the risk of sweating it off. I’ve figured out always to smear plenty under my watch, and put some under the arm warmers at the top in case they slip, pull the cycle shorts legs up and smear it there too.   Don’t forget something for lips, I use a ‘lip-dip’ on my watch strap.
  • Mans handkerchief tucked up sleeve.   
I ate and drank:
  • A good breakfast of weetbix, milk, and a pottle of fruit salad 2 hours before.
  • I packed sandwiches made of 4 slices of white bread spread with marmite and a slice of processed cheese, cut into quarters.  I had one quarter most half hours.
  • 7 solid gel cubes, one to go with each piece of sandwich
  • I carried 2 water bottles with me, and ended up refilling both to drink 4 full bottles of plain water (big swig with each sandwich and when thirsty and before big hills), that was about right for me for the conditions.
  • 1 bottle of full sugar coke over the last 30km, this is rocket fuel to get you through the last bit, wouldn't recommend it any earlier, and wont be using it in the cycle leg of a triathlon.
Other
  • Panadol half an hour before the ride and 4 hours later
  • Didn’t take my usual vitamins and fish-oil supplements till after the ride, you can taste them for hours after.
  • Bike check, tyre check, re-set cycle computer. 
  • Milk drink, fresh fruit, snacks as soon as possible on finishing.  MORE water.
Overall, most things worked OK, I regretted leaving my jacket on as long as I did because I don't cope with heat well, and I felt so much better with it off.     Live and learn...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles