Kate Writes: Taupo and the wind

We were all ready for the big trip to Taupo. I had checked the weather out, westerlies it said. That's fine can manage that, no rain. We woke during the night with a gale blowing. Would they cancel? That's all I could think. We rode down to the start line and got to the lake. The wind was so strong I thought I would be blown off my bike. The usual queue of bikes was not there. We were ushered up to the front and waited with the bike riders that were hoping to do it in 6.30 hours. I was very anxious and considered pulling out. One girl near me was crying. But I'm training to be an Ironman, I do not give up, and the wind had stopped around the corner. We started early and that was good, off up the hill we went. I have done a couple of training runs with my multi sports club and they encouraged me to draft and ride in bunches. So into a large bunch I went. Karen was behind but I knew she was OK. Later she caught up and we decided to ride our own ride if we found a good group to ride in. In the end we just kept coming back together and that was fine.    
Lessons learnt:
 Look for the stable bike riders to follow. The ones with good calf mussels are good. Watch out for the ones that wobble. Follow the goods ones and keep up with them.

I followed a chap called Ian into Turangi, he knew where he was going and I was going very fast. I had lost my computer by now so had no idea what speed I was doing. I stopped at the Z garage for a proper toilet and a can of coke. I still had Hatapi Hill to do. I have not managed to get up the hill in 4 years, but I was determined to do it this year. No hill was going to beat me. I got to the hill and said to Karen see you at the top and off we went. I was ready this time. Passed the sign where I had fallen off last time and up I went. No breathing problems I even joked to a group that got too close that I could sprint still. I'm not sure what they thought, Up the hill and over the top I went. I caught Karen up and called out, hey tinker bell ( She has a pink bell on her bike) I made it.


Well I was so excited, home was not that far away. I met Ian again and off I went. He was determined to get past the slow riders and I followed. We got to the hill outside Taupo and I rode up next to him to thank him for his help. He did not even know I was there. Down the hill into Taupo and the WIND hit me again. But there was no stopping me, I peddled as fast as I could passing loads of people. Into the finish line and it was all over. 7hours 39mins. 9mins slower than I wanted with dreadful wind all the way round. It was a great feeling. Met loads of great people, and a few doing Ironman. It is a great sport to be involved with. Thanks To everyone who help look after everyone. We are a great group of people.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles