Karen writes: Resting

I am resting.  Unusually, I am not feeling in the remotest bit guilty about that, I am not worried about losing my hard-won fitness, I am vaguely worried that my food consumption hasn't dropped to reflect my lack of energy expenditure (party time of course)...but a few days isn't going hurt really...I think...

Anyway, I have in front of me my eating planning from Cate the nutritionist, and it is all terribly sensible. She wants a lot more energy in on heavy training days, particularly high quality carbohydrates and some protein, I'm to be more strategic about eating overall to keep energy levels up, and should be testing new combinations and ramping up what I eat during exercise to get 60-70g carbohydrate in per hour (that is the hard one for me).   That will start, let me see, after Christmas probably!   But this is really scary, there are officially only 9 weeks to go till Ironman, that is probably only SEVEN weeks of real training!

Tomorrow is the trip north to join the children with their grandparents, and my Christmas day treat will be a quick trot up my favorite Mt Manaia, perhaps while everyone else is digesting celebratory lunches in the afternoon.  On the top of that wee mountain is a flat rock, perhaps the size of a small room, and you can stand on that rock and spin slowly around to look at the land spread out below you (or into the clouds on a rainy day) and it makes you feel all is well with the world.   Then a race down to the bottom, gravel paths and steep steps, through flax and native bush tracks with glimpses of sea, back home...for more to eat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles