Karen writes: Sea swim

Good wetsuit swim tonight.   Had been to the end of year school prizegiving for the girls, being a bad mum I turned them over to afterschool care afterwards and selfishly went off to swim (my daughter has since said she doesn't think I'm a 'bad mum').   The tide was half in, the sea flat, my body felt ok and I swam most of the 2.25km without the usual stops to have a rest and muck about.  The local wharf is a bit tricky sometimes though, fishermen cast off the end and not wanting to get tangled up in line with hooks I swim between the poles underneath to avoid them.  It gets a bit scary with the young ones jumping off the wharf and I splash hurriedly through with visions of something heavy landing on me as I emerge on the other side.

I got out of the water and tried to run the 200 metres over the road and back to the house.  It's hard to run in a tight wetsuit in the sun after an hour of horizontal exercise, I was puffing and my legs were so heavy they didn’t want to move, then my arms didn’t want to work to get my wetsuit off.   More practice obviously needed.

Now the girls are down at the roadside waiting for Santa to arrive on the local fire engine, I can hear the siren getting closer. The anticipation will be building up, all the children pour out of the houses and line the roads for the showers of lollies thrown by a volunteer fireman and the bearded man himself complete with the obligatory red outfit, loud speaker, and buckets of sugary junk.  With my focus on food at the moment, I allow myself to wonder what it would be like to have no worries at all about that topic, the more lollies you can eat before mum catches up the better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles