Kate Writes Half Ironman

Friday we packed up the car with double equipment. Left the daughter home alone for a Christmas party of 18 year olds! Not sure whats most worrying, ironman or teenage daughter! Any way off we went. The sun was shining but that was a pretence.

Registration had moved to the Avanti shop in Rotorua. We took our wetsuits to get them dipped in sunlight washing up liquid. Probably the cleanest its ever been. Met up with Greg, who I swim with and also doing Ironman, swapped a few stories and off home.

5am the alarm went and I forced breakfast down, running late into the car and it was raining. Into wetsuit, could not find my transponder, searched everywhere, do not PANIC. I had put it with my goggles, deep breath and down to the waters edge. I do love my red toe nails, they stood out in the sand.  The horn went and we were off. Loads of people all trying to start together, legs and arms everywhere. I took a deep breath and started. It felt OK, water was clear, no waves. This should be a nice swim. I do find sighting was difficult and kept having to look where I was going. I got to the first lap and the teams had just started that was a good feeling. Round the buoy and off for another lap. I thought I was going slow but as I was coming into the  beach I heard over the speaker " we've been going for 47mins" wow I was coming in at the time I wanted.  My official time was 47mins , 11 Min's faster than last year and I beat my coach Jarrad, he was in the team and started 23 Min's after me, but still I was expecting him to pass me.

By now the rain had started but not too bad. Karen was in transition and off I went. It was great to be out on the bike. Had I put enough clothing on? Not sure but too late to go back. You are not allowed to draft in Ironman, so I tried to keep a distance but its really annoying when people overtake you and then go slower than you. This is something I am going to have to work on. The most interesting thing that happened out on the road was the farmer that thought it was a good idea to take 300 cows across a busy road in the middle of a bike race! I looked on it as a good time to stop and get some food and water in. But there was an accident on the other side of the road, one poor girl was off her bike and on the ground. The cows were all over the place trying to climb over fences. There was a gap in the stream of cows and off we went leaving the carnage behind. Halfway home the rain came down and down, drowned rats we were. I saw my friend Sara, well I saw a car beeping its horn, but the rain was coming down. There are only 2 hills to worry about. The one by Hell's Gate, well named,  is very steep and there was a river coming down it at the same time. I sang Ten green bottles as I went up, not inspiring but it keeps you concentrating. Over the other side I went and a crunch of gears. Thought I would be off the bike, but no it all still worked. The second hill is the last bit to the lake. 5k of uphill. I did not make it last year and had to walk. But this year I knew I would make it. Changed gear down to a low one and nothing happened! I looked and could not see any problem. Stopped and got off. Front gear would not change. What was I to do? There was no way I could get up the hill in top gear. Simple! I leaned over the bike picked up the chain and put it on the lower gear. That worked and off home I went. Later I looked to see the cable had snapped. I finished in 3hours 58mins, 22 min's faster than last year.

I decided to change my clothing. It was only psychological as it was raining hard, but dry socks feel so good. But within 200 meters I was wading through mud and water. The first part of the run is around the lake. I stuck to my plan, walk, but there was some dry areas and so I did a little run and it felt OK, the ankle did not hurt. Got to the road and ran the next 8 k, still felt OK.Very wet. Ran/walked home in a time of 2 hours 44 Min's, 22 Min's faster than last year.

WOW, I finished in 7hours 29minutes    56minutes faster than last year. This training and trainers work is working. Thank you to my trainer Mr Smith and also swim coach Jarrad.  There were a number of great supporters out there, many had come down from the swim club, especially Fiona for running up and giving me a hug. Thank you to Greg who ran along the lake front with me on my last lap as he thought I looked a little lonely. All my friends and Family you lot are assume supporting me.

I am a little stiff today and have just been for a little swim, but I am excited about Ironman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles