Karen writes: Hot and cold

Woke up this morning at 5.45am to the alarm telling me it was time for a quick breakfast before getting on the road.  These long bike rides have to start early, or the whole day just disappears under the tyres.  Anyway, I must have dozed off, but fortunately the amount of noise being made over the road at the beach by a gaggle of hardy swimmers getting into their wetsuits dragged me out of bed.   

On the road, the air could have been described as being ‘fresh’, or ‘invigorating’, you know…the sorts of words you use when it’s actually cold and you are trying to convince yourself you really wouldn’t rather have more clothes on, or alternatively be in bed where sensible people still are.

But I soon warmed up, and it was beautiful being out there before the rest of the world (except the mad swimmers), woke up.  The only sounds were a few birds and the wind rushing through my helmet, the sea was mirror smooth, and the sun coming up behind the point at the end of Umupuia beach was spectacular.   I am pretty sure it was still beautiful 4 ½ hours later, but I was a tad less enthusiastic about it by then. I finally got home, now complaining about the heat and went for a half hour run.  I have gotten into the habit of hopping off the bike and running through the bush so as not to be seen doing the wobbly leg thing on the main road...pride, I'm sure I wont have any on the day.

Today finally remembered to test out wearing the tri-shorts underneath a pair of padded cycle shorts.  The idea is to wear the tri-shorts in the water under the wetsuit, finish the swim, put the cycle shorts on over the tri-shorts for the ride, then for the run strip off the cycle shorts leaving the tri-shorts.   It seemed to work ok, not sure about how it will go for 15 hours though, and at least part of that time soaking wet.

22km run tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles