Karen writes: Inventory 6+ weeks out

Food - generally been good with that, choices seem to be making themselves most of the time with a tendency towards the healthy option...all the bad C words...cake, cream, cookies, cola, croissants have disappeared except...of course...chocolate and cheese.  During exercise, the electrolyte drink seems to be working out reasonably well, it's the same sort which will be available on course during the IM so that is good, and it didn't seem to react with the solid gels and sandwiches which make up the rest of my exercise nutrition.

Equipment - Bike needs a clean and another service, probably a new chain.  I'm also feeling overstretched, its possible when the bike was set up I was a bit fatter and I am now further away from the handlebars. The new mini-panniers hold plenty of food in a convenient place, but bash my knees if I stand up to pedal, need to also make a decision about whether to put on more bottle holders as two just aren't enough for training rides more than a couple of hours long, and do I want convenience of plenty of drink versus extra weight during IM?  Need new running shoes...but I do LIKE these ones, they are pink and have carried me through the Perth Marathon, and the half IM...yes...that absolutely means they have done too much!   Need new tri-shorts and cycle shorts, and to figure out whether to swap pants in transition, or wear one pair over the top of the other.  Need the cycle shirt and run shirt for the big day too.   Wetsuit needs fingernail holes repaired.

Training - close to plan, even the 9+ hours over the last 3 days completed in spite of badly wanting to turn around and come back early during the 19km slog on the hot tarseal out towards Duders park yesterday.

Body - sore bits.   Always the worry, are they sore because the muscles and connected bits have been pushed temporarily past their usual limits, so it is expected that they will be sore, or are there evolving injuries....oh my shoulders, neck, knees, back. Lesson for the poor fool who gets up in the semi dark, half asleep, and lavishly applies antichafe from the first pot they pick up, it's preferable to always check the label first, I felt rather warm having comprehensively antiflammed myself...

Mind - I'm onto this...feel like I could do a really bad job of IM next week if I had to...but in just over 6 weeks I will be perfectly prepared!  There's optimism for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles