Karen writes: Tri-bar envy

I'm about to develop a bad case of tri-bar envy.   Kate has new tri-bars and it seems that every other cyclist I see on the road has their bike gloriously flaunting a set of the things too.  They all look like...triathletes!

I actually have tri-bars myself, sitting on the desk at work.   They were once on my bike, I hated them.   I couldn't go in a straight line, and felt like I had to ride in the middle of the road so as not to wobble off the edge. I was a menace to myself and the rest of the travelling public, yes, even more than usual.   Then I gave up (I know, pathetic) and there is now a whole lot of essential other stuff on my handlebars...like the pink bell, another pair of brake levers (can never have too many of those), and the cycle computer...couldn't possibly give any of that up.

So I may be the only person fronting up at the IM with a bike without tri-bars.  My bike will be ridiculed, other bikes will snigger at it, and it most definitely wont make the cover of tri-bike fashion weekly.  The poor thing will probably develop a complex because all the other riders will be in exquisitely aerodynamic tri-bar racing positions going at twice the speed we are, and they will arrive rested and refreshed at the end of their 180km rides.  I shall tell my bike "never mind, tri-bars don't the bike make" and ignore any snide reply from it along the lines of "yeah, its the d#*n rider.   Maybe next time....did I just say that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles