Karen writes: Windy riding, grumbling about food for a good reason...

Just home from a 5hour+ bikeride in the wind, and it was very, very windy, I could really feel my legs working hard on some roads, and I just flew on others.  The ride was followed by a 25 minute run which went fine once my legs had decided they were going to go in the direction I was telling them to.   I am now home on the sofa, with legs up and icepacks on my knees alternately eating and typing and moving the icepacks about.

Here is something really unusual to hear me complaining about.  I logged my eating today and I observe that firstly it was pretty healthy, following most of the rules (except for some lollies out of Jennies jar), and secondly that I ended up in a big negative energy balance for the day.   Apparently I burned off an estimated 3400 calories worth of energy with all that exercise (5 1/2 hours), add on my daily expected expenditure of about 1800 calories and my total daily energy out was theoretically about 5200.  I took in a whopping 3200 calories so was still 2000 short...and I have eaten so much I feel sick!  Now, I note that I just wouldn't have this problem if I could rely on things like fizzy and cake and chocolate, they don't take up anywhere near as much room as the healthy stuff...but I am trying hard to be good now so close to the big event.  It feels really strange though, eating just to burn it off, we usually spend so much time trying not to eat too much!

But in spite of that, given the problems I have had with fueling for exercise I am really happy that the food for today worked so well.  This afternoon before the bikeride I had what is basically my pre-exercise 'breakfast', 2 serves of rice porridge made with milk and yogurt with some raisins.  Every half hour for the first 3 1/2 hours I had half a honey or marmite sandwich (white bread) and a swig of an electrolyte drink I'm trying, and for the last 1 1/2 hours on the bike I had half hourly solid gels and water.   Didn't take enough to drink, and was too lazy to stop for more, that wasn't smart.   But overall, I am surprised how well the session, both run and bike went, roll on next weekend where the cycle distance is up to 130km.

Tomorrow I have to get in the tide and tackle my swimming aversion.   Hopefully the wind will have died down and there will be a perfectly flat sea to play in, then I can get some serious kilometers happening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles