Karen writes: To train or not to train

I did run that 30km (actually it was only 29) on Sunday after claiming to be "exhausted" on Saturday.  And it was everything I expected it to be, my legs were stuffed with straw and refused to move very fast at all, and my mantra with every few steps was "I wanna go home...wanna go home".  The first 10km were with the Te Puru runners, taking it easy, talking, enjoying the company so that was OK.  The next 19km were by myself, along the coast towards Clevedon.  The beside-the-sea bit was lovely when I stopped long sulking enough to pay attention, it was still before 9am, and there was a slight breeze, few people around.  When I turned inland it got hotter, the tar was soaking up the sun and the heat was coming back to me through my shoes, my newest pair of shoes I should say...I'm going through those so regularly I don't have them long enough to get sentimentally attached to them like I used to. 


As I ran I saw beginner triathletes trying out transition from sea to bike, "go triathlete" I called.  I saw a few children on bikes being shepherded along by parents too.  One man and his boy were headed towards Maraetai as I ran away from it, when they returned and saw me still on the road they called out "well done runner, how far you going?".  I yelled back it was "30km" and that it was for Ironman and got plenty of friendly encouragement which gave me a burst of enthusiasm.   As they rode away I heard the father say in response to something the boy had said "no son, I think we will wait a few years before you think of Ironman".  It made me laugh.

Emailed trainer Grant with the weekly catchup and to say I was "had-it" and planning to take the day off, he wasn't keen, his answer was "this is the week you should feel very lethargic with heavy and slow running legs… right on track".   Ohhhh, I am meant to feel like this...but I still don't feel up to training today...I should...shouldn't...should...shouldn't.   However rescue from uncertainty has come from the best of possible sources, my Mum has just called, she says I sound tired and I MUST take the day off training..."mum knows best" she says.  Today, unlike many previous times, I am more than happy to do as Mum tells me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles