Karen writes: How fast?

I said "I want to do Rotorua marathon faster".   Grant the Ironman trainer hasn't given up on me yet and said "how fast?".  He suggested rather facetiously that if it was just a few seconds I could do a sprint at the finish.  I said I wanted to do under 4 1/2 hours, I always aim for 4 1/2 hours and haven't quite managed it yet. Kerre Woodham (one of my marathoning inspirations, see this 2008 interview) did 4 1/2 hours in her first marathon effort, not me though.  Given my failure to achieve even this goal in spite of repeated attempts, I thought I was being a bit brave by adding on the "under" word.

My friend said "go for 4 hours, you can do it".  I muttered something about setting goals which weren't going to embarrass me too much when I failed to meet them.

Fast is something which worries me a bit.   I can plod along at snails pace, not much faster than walking if truth be known, but I feel like I could do it forever if I had to.  Slow is my comfort zone, nothing hurts, I can look at the world.  I like to be able to talk when I run, I could probably sing!  I like (need?) to have enough energy when I finish to be sure I can...drive home safely,...be mum...cook dinner...do the washing...get up the following morning... work without the urge to fall asleep on my desk.  I also have had problems in the past with not having much tolerance for being too energetic, having a thyroid condition it is easy to overdo things and end up being in a state of torpor for a month.

100 steps Tracey Walk Maraetai
Right now I feel pretty fit though, and it makes sense that if there was ever a time to put more effort in it is now, add 'icing to the cake' so to speak.  So I started yesterday by doing some of the dreaded hill training.  Anyone who runs or walks around Maraetai knows the Maraetai Drive hill, the short but steep Alexander Ave, the Omana steps, and last but not least, what is called locally  'the 100 steps' (its actually 120-something depending on how you count the landings) going up from Tracey Walk, now that one is a real challenge to run up.

The lungs and legs coped well with a double dose of all of the above, just the calves reminding me that they weren't too impressed on the last few inclines...but the head doesn't like it one bit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles