Kate Writes: Taupo Half

Today I feel more positive about the event. We completed another Half Ironman and I can still walk! I had to re think the day and my timing.


Swim
The water was 15 degrees, thought it might be cold but once in , it was really quite nice. I warmed up and got ready to start. I could not see where I was going but just followed the rest of the girls. I came across a pink float so knew I was on the right course. Eventually I found a big buoy in the water I had gone off the course a bit but swam over to it and along to the next one. The water was a little choppy at this stage but I knew we had turned the corner and was on our way home. I found the other end and a big buoy there and the flags were flying and home I went. It took me 51 minutes.


Bike
Transition was slow 10 minutes, but there was a long walk to the tents. Next time I will run a little. I had a great bike ride, doing an average of 24k an hour. Enjoyed most of  it and even got an official telling off for being too close to the next bike. It was dry and mainly warm for the bike with a little wind on the return journey. It took me 1h44mins to go out and 2 h back.

Run
 The run was good. I'm not run fit as my achilles has been causing me problems. But I ran at about 7k an hour with my last lap being my fastest. As you can see from the picture I was going very fast and the hair was being swept behind me.

I finished in 7hours 28 minutes. Rank 1343 out 1417. 36th in my age group out of 44. I'm pleased with the result, its just a shame it was not what we went to do. But watch out next year I will be fitter and faster than before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles