Karen writes: Big run and memories

I had a 34km run this morning, beautiful day for it, cool and fresh, but goodness that is a long way.   I headed off early along the coast towards Duders Beach, and running back to Maraetai was treated to the sight of the huge moon over the trees in the perfectly blue morning sky.  I kept running to Te Puru where 3 other stalwarts from the running group had dragged themselves away from Easter holiday induced lethargy to run as well, so I ran with them and when they turned off, I kept on going, the thought of guilt-free Easter eggs keeping the legs going.  Just 8km short of the marathon distance, but I am sure those 8km will be very long on the day.   Am I ready, who knows, I think I have felt worse doing that sort of distance in training, perhaps that is cause for optimism.

Recovery after a long training run.  Drink lots of water, get into the recovery food quickly (shape powder/yogurt/fruit salad), shower and stretch, compression leggings and feet up (1 minute for every km covered).   Multi-vitamin, anti-oxidants, fish-oil, and magnesium powder...theoretical basis for the polypharmacy...there isn't one...but something out of that lot works and I don't dare change anything in an apparently winning recipe!

The real treat though came this afternoon, it was the Ironman programme showing the 2012 event on TV1. I watched the swim and remembered what it felt like to be bobbing round waiting for the start in that cold water and I felt sad for the woman shown who couldn't finish because of hypothermia. I watched the cyclists and remembered the noise and the fast ride out and the slow ride back to Taupo.  I watched the woman running in her Special K t'shirt and remembered commenting to her that I had worn my own Special K t'shirt down to Taupo.  I thought about how my own footsteps had traveled every bit of the route they showed, it was a lovely reminder that we were actually there.  And at a time when the momentum is a bit erratic, a timely reminder that we want to be there again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles