Karen writes: Crocks

Goodness, me and Kate are a pair of crocks at the moment. 

I was lucky enough however to get out for a run on Sunday.  The run itself felt pretty average, in spite of it being an absolutely gorgeous morning.  I ran at first with the Te Puru runners along the Omana and Maraetai waterfront, then headed off by myself through the country towards Clevedon, marvelling at things like clumps of very early jonquils, gorgeous Autumn leaves, cold looking cyclists, and drivers feeling the need to speed past me stirring up choking clouds of lime dust from roadworks.

I was in no hurry to go home though and just meandered along, eating my favourite coca cola flavoured energy gels and thinking about nothing much.  You see there was no shower at home due to urgent and unplanned renovations happening in the bathroom.  It was found on Friday that the bath was threatening to descend through the floor of its own accord, not good.  On Saturday night I had suggested that if the there wasn’t a usable shower on Sunday morning, I wasn’t coming home from my run until there was one.  Just as well I didn’t really mean it, 2 ½ hours on the road was quite enough given I am on ‘light’ running while I recover from the tricky shoulder problem.

I am pleased to report that the shower now works, and the shoulder is more upset by my sitting typing at work than by the running.   I have just taken the arms off my office chair to try to improve the angle for using the mouse to try to fix that.   

Anyway, it is 3 weeks since the Rotorua Marathon and I am very aware that I have lost condition. I feel I can vaguely claim the title of 'runner', but don't feel even remotely like a 'triathlete'. My weight is up, my clothes don’t feel the same, and there is a sense that something important is missing from my life.  I feel so much better after going for even a bad run that I want to get back into a training routine… soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles