Karen writes: Its a small country...

I injured myself.   It is the latest in a long line of injuries and grumbles sometimes impacting on (this time), or at other times caused by my sporting efforts. I have been getting treatment however, and even been doing the prescribed exercises.  Those exercises are a bit strange, I had made the assumption that exercises need to have uncomfortable weights or endless repetitions or make you sweat or feel miserable to do any good.   These exercises are strangely delicate and very focused and highlight hither-too unnoticed weaknesses.

For the first 2 visits to the physiotherapist I asked "when can I run", the first visit I was told "in 10 days", and the second visit I was told "perhaps Monday".   I forgot to ask on the third visit, perhaps subconsciously not wanting to be told I couldn't run after-all.  So I ran, taking it easy, ready to stop at the first sign of trouble.  I felt ok, in fact I was more than OK.  While I ran I made every excuse under the sun to justify taking that risk in spite of the fact that I would have told anyone else who did the same that they were nuts.  After I ran I agonised over the possibility of having done more damage, but oh, I did enjoy being back out moving again. The arm got tired and it was a bit alarming to experience how much change there was in the range of movement and strength... I couldn't swim if you paid me, but there was no pain then, or the following morning.  Importantly though, my increasing feelings of twitchy irritation and general not-feeling-right-ness disappeared, and whew, I could stop feeling guilty about morphing into the BQFH at home.

However, I was reminded of what a small world we really operate in when I made contact with trainer Grant.  I described my injury and said I was "managing light running", of course conveniently missing out the fact that it was an assumed rather than definite clearance.  I went on to describe the treatment I was receiving from the wonderful physio. That was my undoing...it turned out that Grant (operating out of Clevedon) was very familiar with the wonderful physio (operating out of Parnell) and he happily went off to make contact to make sure the training he prescribed was going to aid the recovery.   Oops, it is a small world.  But what better support could an apparently injury prone athlete pretender ask for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles