Karen writes: Optimism

I think sometimes one of the most important things about treatment of injury can be instilling a sense of hope, or optimism that things will get better.  Obviously there could theoretically be a point where optimism is unreasonable, or perhaps even professionally irresponsible, but today, on my first visit to the physio, when I was secretly convincing myself that my Ironman hopes were escaping...surely coming out with a renewed sense of optimism is a pretty precious thing.

I went to Kate's physio.  It involved a trip into Parnell, not an easy place to get to from South Auckland I have to say, but it is silly to ignore a good recommendation.  A history was taken, a check starting at head level identified firstly that my shoulder problem wasn't from my neck, but then "oh, how long haven't you been able to turn your head more than 45 degrees to the right?"  "Um...probably about 25 years" was the answer.  Some gentle pressure and I felt like I was about to do something from the exorcist and I could briefly see over my shoulder...wow that is so COOL!  "Pretty sure we can fix that, but we wont overload you today" he says.  I made some comment about being a bit lethal on the bike as I normally turned most of my body to look behind me and  I got the sort of 'you are kidding' look I probably deserved.

So, on to the shoulder.  Most likely rotator cuff (YAY) but still too inflamed to put it through a good range of motion. Possibly it is a decent tear to inflict the type of incapacity and pain I was experiencing, but..."this is what we will do...and if that doesn't work we can do this...and this...".   It was so good to hear something positive like that after all the doom and gloom I had been reading about!   Then I got some needles stuck in me (acupuncture is a new magic for me to believe in), and my shoulder was strapped and I was given detailed explanations accompanied by much articulation of a model shoulder joint, "this is what your shoulder is doing now, this is what the tape will let it do...".

Of course I had to try, "when can I run"?   NOT for at least TEN days was the answer.  But I can now lift my elbow 6 inches out from my side without squeaking so I am very happy and going back on Thursday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles