Karen writes: Two arms.

My flash training diary is looking decidedly unimpressive on the exercise front.  But it does have other stuff in it, like yesterday I went for an ultrasound scan of the problematic shoulder.  I sat with all the people who looked sick and looked like they should be lined up in that waiting room, and the pregnant ladies who didn’t look sick but also looked like they had a reason to be there...I felt rather out of place.

Anyway, in the darkened room it was time to bare the shoulder, get slathered in gel, and contort into various positions with varying degrees of discomfort while the deep dark secret things normally hidden from sight inside me showed up onscreen.

As luck would have it, the scanner man was a tri-athlete, emphasis on 'was'.  He had stopped due to that life thing interfering and now his tri-athleticism squatted in the back of his head under the category of ‘just too much hard work’.  He gave me a run-down of what he was seeing as he worked his scanner …healthy tendons, no obvious muscle tear, but a bursitis with obvious inflammation was there. Ok. Options…anti-inflammatories, and maybe a steroid injection…hmmm, don't much like that idea, do I really need both arms working anyway?  And given my age, I now apparently had a good chance of it coming back if I didn’t take sensible precautions like good stretching, strengthening the right muscles, good posture and avoiding things which put the aging shoulder at risk of injury again.  Oh dear, that means I will never take up professional tennis, I won’t become a weight lifter, and digging holes (which I did do at one point in my life) just isn't a career option anymore. He did say something which made me feel a little more optimistic, he commented that most 'mature' athletes who line up at these events will have their own weakness, an injury they have and are actively managing or actively preventing, I may just have to watch this shoulder myself. My parting shot was that the scanner man should start his own exercise again, it only gets harder if you don’t.

I sent a text to Kate.   Pharmacology Kate teasingly responded “steroids, might make you go faster”  In my dreams I thought.  So I sat on the spin bike for an hour last night reading a book.  ‘Light spin’ I call that, coach type people would probably call it ‘time wasting’.   Today I went to the physio and after some ‘stretching of the capsule’ and other things outside my understanding of anatomy we agreed I would leave the decision about the steroids for another week.

Tonight I went for a fast run, in the dark, on a cold and clear and beautiful night. I pondered getting a needle stuck into my shoulder…until I forgot about it and just thought about running in the dark on a clear and beautiful night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles