Kate writes: Hauraki Rail trail

I was all ready for my week end away. What to pack? It was going to be cold, wet and sunny! We started off at the Kobu bridge, well that had changed since I was last there. A big flash new bridge, with two way traffic. There was little signage and a bit pot luck as to which way to go. But there were other cars parked with bike racks on the back so I must be in the right place. Under the bridge I went and off along the side of the road. The rail trail is on the old railway line, covered in stone so a little hard on the tyres. There were loads of stops with gates to go through, but otherwise great for riding. stopped at Paeroa for lunch and then on to TeAroha. beautiful weather, although it threatened to rain.  It took 4 hours to do 54K. But it was fun. we spent the evening at a camp site in a small cabin, had food and beer at the pub whilst watching the All Blacks slaughter the Irish. What more could a girl want! 
The next day we decided to drive back to Paeroa and ride the 14k to Waikino. It was slightly up hill, but I did not notice until we came back and how fast it was down hill. At one stage we go through a 1k tunnel. I road into it thinking how dark it was and shouted at other riders" watch out riders" as I could not see them. I then took my sun glasses off and it was much brighter! There is a great coffee shop at the far end of the gorge, a welcome stop.
This picture is of me, in orange and my friend Rachele and her family.
Its a great ride and I would recommend it to anyone to have a go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles