Karen writes: After another Marathon

I have been jittering all over the place since the marathon just over 2 days ago.  Half the time I dont know whether I want to lie down and stare at the inside of my eyelids, or run madly up and down the street. Physically I feel really good, nothing hurts and I am getting around as normal (some would say I obviously don't work hard enough), it is just a feeling of being in a bit of a strange state that only time and keeping moving can deal with.  The only real evidence is that I am ferociously hungry, eat too much, then cant stand the thought of food until the hungries arrive again.  If I listed today's food intake it would be unbalanced and sound bizarre, I mean the sort of stuff we have in the fridge tells a story...like cheese (3 varieties), guacamole, quince paste, and fruit.  Much of it goes together strangely well on a bagel at 5am.  This will pass, I know.

Today I have walked and walked and thought and walked some more.   I thought about what I liked about the Sunshine Coast inaugural marathon, and the list goes something like this...
  • beautiful beautiful beautiful start with the ocean right there and the sun coming up in a glorious orange ball
  • accommodation just over the road from the start line
  • it is so cool to be part of the 'first' of something, long may this one continue...will we ever have a chance to come back is a question
  • only one hill, I do like hills but I haven't been training on them for months because of that ITB injury
  • volunteers were all absolutely lovely in their yellow shirts. They laughed at the jokes they must have heard a 1000 times ("you again?"). I did get mildly miffed when I came up to one drink station and a man said to someone else something like, "real runners have their hand out waiting for their liquids as they run through".  I thought, 'real runner, hey, I'M a real runner'
  • easily accessible drink and food at the end and a finishing chute which made you keep your legs moving
  • late checkout from the hotel
  • no litter on the road like at Perth last year.
  • the "go marathoner" cheers from supporters
  • the fact that there were so few kiwi's in the field, it is almost certain we were in the first few kiwi's over the finish line...now that is a rarity!
  • lovely rectangular medal, very colourful.
What I liked less (whinging kiwi)...
  • the electrolyte drinks supplied on course were not available in NZ so couldn't test them out (this is one rule I do strictly follow...NO new nutrition on the day)
  • the setup where the shorter distance runners joined the marathon runners was scary and I felt a bit jostled and at risk because my tired legs weren't as agile as they might have been if I needed them to get me out of trouble.
Things I'm not sure about...
  • a 4 lap course, I thought it would be hard running past the same spot so many times but it wasn't bad at all, partly because I didn't know where I was half the time anyway.  Do I like it better than a straight out and back or a single circuit, not sure.
  • the heat.  We did our training in an Auckland winter and survived a marathon in the Australian heat, not sure if that's a smart thing to do again any time soon but certainly learned lots from the experience, it definitely wasn't as bad as expected.
Would I recommend this marathon to anyone else?  OH YES!

I said this last year at the same time.  It is still the truth, the next marathon we do WILL be part of Ironman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles