Karen writes: Swim peril for the unwary triathlete with kids

I went for a swim in the Otara pool.  For 2 weeks now I have been setting my alarm early in order to get up for a weekly set of lengths before work, all my good intentions come to nothing though when I repeatedly hit the snooze button thinking "I will do it tomorrow..."

I'm not really too worried about the swim, after all, the next important challenge is the 160km round lake Taupo cycle ride in 8 weeks. The event after that is the Rotorua half ironman and I figure I can flounder out a 2km swim without too much preparation if I really have to for that.  That rather slack attitude will obviously have to change early next year to achieve double that swimming distance for the full Ironman.

Anyway, I got in the water this morning, adjusted and wet the pair of goggles I had snatched out of the bathroom on the way out the door, and pushed off from the end of the pool.  I pulled up short, what was the matter with my eyes!   They stung and watered, I wrenched the goggles off and....oh, I remember, my smallest daughter doesn't like shampooing her hair, the way around this resistance to normal hygiene is for her to wear goggles in the shower.  Shampoo...MY goggles...not a good combination.  I must remember that one, and hide my good goggles better in future.

I did get in a relatively pleasant 1.25km freestyle effort. I wondered why I always find it so hard to get out of bed and to the pool, which actually turned out to be pleasantly quiet on a Friday morning so I might consider changing my swim day to Friday in future. Now if I could only figure out where my flippers and paddles are?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles