Karen writes: Weetbix Tryathlon...never disappoints

It was blowing a gale and pouring with rain yesterday, I went to bed thinking about how bad the weather would have to be to cancel the Weetbix Tryathlon in St Heliers.

The whanau woke reluctantly, breakfasted in the dark, we bundled the rather laid back 9yo athlete into the car, and headed for the city.  What do you know, the weather cleared, a 1000 other kids had also extracted themselves and their families from their beds, and I didn't see any sign of anyone regretting it.  I can only say that it doesn't matter what the fitness level of the child, participating is so worth it, and this time it was kind of cool that the finishers ran a gauntlet of triathletes here for the international triathlon series coming up next week, they can feel they were part of something much larger.
Now I am about to make a decision which goes against the grain, I took a beautiful photo of the athlete sound asleep in the back of the car on the way home.  The picture spoke volumes to me, how wonderful to exhaust yourself with a day of friendship, excited cheering, less than ideal food choices and even some exercise...and then crash out with such abandon.  I wish I could do that!  But I'm not going to post it, darling daughter is probably old enough now to not be happy about being a public sleeping-beauty, perhaps I will save the evidence till she is 21.
Oh, and I am still training.  Got a 65km bikeride in on Friday (20km short), spent a reluctant hour on the spin bike on Saturday (the weather was too awful to do anything else), and had a 20km run yesterday afternoon through the bush.  Still waiting for the enthusiasm to kick in though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles