Kate writes: ocean swim

One of my fears last year at Ironman was the swim. When asked what the problem was I said I was afraid of the snakes and sharks!  But really I was afraid of swimming on my own. So the plan is to do some ocean swims. Wednesday I was looking at the summer swim series at Kohimarama Beach in Auckland on the web site. Pressed the enter button and that was that, I was entered. 

I turned up on Thursday night, got my hat with my number on and sat and waited for the start. My friend Barbara turned up and it was nice to see a friendly face. The gun went and off we went into the sea. My fears came running back, all the other swimmers were better than me, I was left behind, I could not breathe. Breast stroke and catch my breath, talk my self into being OK. I can swim to the first buoy, its only 250m, I can swim to the next 500m, I can swim to the 750m. OK I'm going to be OK. I looked around and there was no-one behind me so I thought I better turn around. 1500 m I swam in 41 minutes. Not bad, not good. I need to do more ocean swims. Will be back next week.


The funny thing was that I decided to change out of my wet suit next to the car. No problem, I slipped the swim suit off my shoulders and then tried to get my thermal top on, but i was not dry and the top just rolled up. The bottom half was just as hard. I was waiting for a call from the police to say there was a lady indecently exposing herself in the street. Next week i will go to thetoilet block and change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles