Kate Writes: to all the men!

Well what a title! I dreamt this one up as I was cycling around lake Taupo. There were just so many men to thank for helping me along. There was John, Paul, Eric, Mathew, Evan, Morris, John so many Johns I can not remember them all. It might seem a bit strange, a bit like a song... 'to all the men I have loved and lost' but it seems like that in a way. Riding around the lake you need friends, drafting helps so much. But you have to pick the person that you are going to draft carefully. They have to know what they are doing, not stopping for a drink or just because they could.

I met Evan just outside Taupo. He had a bronze number on, which meant he had completed 10 + rides. I followed him for some time and then noticed his bottle of gel was leaking down his backside and down his leg. Sticky. I rode up close to him to let him know. I kept seeing him over the next few hours. He was Welsh and had the welsh dragon on his water bottles. You learn alot from looking. He came in a few minutes after me :) .

 John I met about half way round. He was from Manukau, not far from me. It was his first, or as he said a virgin at the race and was struggling. Thought it was a lot harder than expected. I said eat and drink and you will be OK. He drafted in with me at the finish and thanked me for my support. Another John I met had a wonderful shirt on. He belonged to the Fat Bas...d club. They were an eating club with a cycling disorder. That made me laugh. I asked if I could join and he said no, because I was not fat! He made my day.

About half way around I met Morris. I heard this voice behind me, 'Kate you can go faster and catch the next rider up' and so I did. The next 10k went really fast as we drafted off each other with about 4 of us in the group. Morris did most of the work and when we got to the next turn off I asked him how far he was going? he had a C on his bib which meant he could be doing 40k or 80k. He was doing 80k so I thanked him for his help and he said lets do more but you lead. Well I'm not that strong, but these riders were my speed and so off we went and yes I could do it and I could lead the pack. Did have to think about keeping some reserve though. The big hill was to come.

I know this blog is to thank the men but there was one woman that gave me a smile. Her name was Lisa. I met her half way up Hatape Hill. Her team name was 'Impure thoughts'. I asked the sensible question? what impure thoughts do you have? well we talked about all the nice bottoms that we were admiring up the hill. It made us both laugh and helped us up the hill.

At the top of the Hill with 20k to go I looked at my watch to see I had been riding 6 hours and 6 minutes. I could get home in under 7 hours, but how long had I had at Turangi getting coke and chocolate? Could I do this? Yes I could! All I need now was a new man. My prayers were answered and two cyclists came by, I think father and son as the boy was much younger. I slipped into the space behind them and off we went. Wow it was fast, but I had a mission. I took my turn at the front and turned to look for them to find I had lost them for a short time and then they were back. Also John was there from Manukau. 30k an hour we were going fast! Was I going to make it? The clock was ticking. I rode as hard as I could and over the finish line with legs shaking. An iceblock and pineapple were on offer. My bike timer said 6:45 but how long was that stop? My daughter Sophie TXT me to say she had just had a txt to say I had finished. What time I asked 6 Hours 57 minutes and 31sec. Yes I had done it. I would say its the first time I have really pushed myself to get a time I wanted and what a feeling of success.

There were two other great success this weekend. Firstly I bought my first pair of size 12 trousers in probably 20 years (dropped 2 dress sizes since training for Ironman). Secondly I got a B+ for my pharmacology practicum at Auckland University. Highest mark ever. Nurse prescribing here I come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles