Karen writes: Still going...

The cough still lurks, but it sounds worse than it is, it's not interfering with work, life, or training, but does garner a few nervous looks from other people so I'm pretty much staying in isolation.

Yesterday I had a good ride, 100 minutes playing with the aerobars, probably not going any faster than usual and I'm not familiar enough with them to tell if the promised 'less energy usage' is true, but I'm progressing, and most importantly, enjoying.  Managed a 30 minute run afterwards, I'm short on the off-the-bike runs, so I will do another of those this week.  What with the aerobars, and a set of brand new very pretty wheels (not tried yet), I'm sure I shall leap off the bike saddle and run like the wind after the planned 7 hour cycling effort later in the week.  Yeah right.

The new wheels came about when the mechanic who was replacing my wrecked tyre from a couple of weeks ago spun the rear wheel and looking serious pointed out that there was a noise and a vibration that shouldn't have been there.  A new wheel was going to be necessary....at some point...I wasn't excited by the prospect...but on the last long ride the noise became more apparent and I found a set of the recommended shimano wheels at a very fortuitous sale at torpedo 7, half the price sold elsewhere, so my hard used and old technology versions have been replaced.  And the poor old bike looks very nice with them on too.

Tonight I went for a good 12km run.  It was a bit of an anxious effort though, starting running down Okaroro road with the dry yellow fields on either side of the road heading towards the forestry.  I could see what I thought was smoke in the distance and I wondered about the fact that there was a total fire-ban on...should I ring the fire brigade, should I turn around and run home if there was a chance of fire in the dry bush?  There was no smell, and the closer I got the haze seemed to disappear, I guessed eventually that it might have been dust so I stopped worrying.

I got into the bush trails, wandering off the main trail with it's gorse and eucalyptus and onto the little side trails through the tall pine stands.  I often hear cracking noises on these trails, see a small branch or pinecone fall, but today there was lots of noise, and around one corner a big tree had broken at its base and fallen across the track, this was new since I was last there a few days ago.  What with fear of fire, then fear of being hit on the head by a tree, I didn't enjoy my solitary pottering in the shady bush as much as I might normally.  I went home.

This week my training hours are still a bit down, but hopefully I will get my longest bike-ride done, plus the 2nd longest run, then next week I can concentrate on the longest swim and longest run...then we only have a few weeks to go.  Eek!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles