Kate writes: the race

I slept well and the alarm went off at 4:45am. breakfast and off down to the race start by 6am. It was all very exciting. There were people every where. I managed to see most of my training partners and my coach before we started. big hugs, not much was said. I got into the water and tried to warm up with 1400 people! I got myself into the place I wanted but why were there so many people standing behind me. Oh well I will just have to get on with the race. The cannon went and off we went. lots of kicking and pushing. I am in the middle somewhere......

I had a man swim next to me and for once he was swimming at the same speed and technique as me. Wow I can draft I thought. He also protected me from the other swimmers. We swam together for the first lap 1750m. I went around the markers and turned around on the homeward straight. I counted the buoys and felt good. I was going home. I came out of the water with a time of 1hr 26 minutes. I jumped up and down the green strip, the family shouted at me and then my coach was so surprised to see me, I thought I would swim 1hr 40mins so I was so excited. I ran along the pathway and up the stairs. Into transition and off on the bike. Around the corner and there were my supporters all in their T-shirts and shouting at me. It was so supportive. 90k later I was back in Taupo, a good ride and faster than I thought. Off again I went and again the support crew were all there. I met my coach at special needs and had a quick chat whilst drinking my milky drink. Saw Rob from my cycle club and off I went. Another 40k under my belt, I had enough but had to dig deep. There were whorl winds of dust on the fields around us. I thought they were tornado's. Drinking and eating was hard and I had to push to keep it all going. It was hot but no wind.

7hrs and 22 mins and I was finished. last time I did that ride it took me 8hrs so I was on fire.!
But by the time I was out on the run my spirit dropped. OMG i have 42k to go. Karen I knew was at least 40 mins behind me. If I was going to keep my lead I needed to run. The coach was there cheering me on, and around the corner my support crew. that lifted my spirits and I soared. off I went. It was a long run. You were running with people just about to finish with 3 bands and those with 2 bands and then me with one. Headspace was so important. Just keep going think about your plan, run to the water stops and then run to the next one, walk up the hills and just go. Each lap my sister and daughter were there cheering me along, it was so amazing. It was just dusk when I was on my last lap and had to have a light to carry, but I knew we were on the way home.   I could hear that I had 2 minutes to go until 10pm, but there were so many people to hug and kiss, why run too fast. I enjoyed coming in to the end and the time was 15hrs 2 minutes. The last 2 minutes were all the hugs and kisses.

This is my support crew they were great. Fiona and Jacky and Chloe are missing from this photo, I could not have done this with out all of their help.                                                         THANKS EVERYONE LOL


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles