Karen writes: Rotorua Marathon number 4

Rotorua marathon, another one down.  I had a good run, 4 hours 42, just a minute slower than I did Rotorua in last year. Pretty happy with that considering the minimal amount of training, grumpy knees, and Ironman 8 weeks ago, I will use the 'Higdon' senior programme again methinks.  Got to run with the Ironman transfer on my leg just like I dreamed of doing the year before last, and stopped at the Fat Dog on the way back to Auckland for a breakfast of waffles, banana (carbs), bacon (protein), blueberries (anti-oxidants) and cream (dairy).  MMMMMM, there has to be some reward for all that hard work.

Weather was good, but warmer than expected, we were very lucky because only a few hours after the finish there was some serious thunder and lightning.  I wouldn't have wanted to have been out on the road in that.  As usual I got to run with some excellent people, feeling suitably quashed when they talked about having done marathons numbering over 20.  I felt like I ran a little slower overall, but towards the end made up time by doing less walking, keeping going at my version of the marathon shuffle, my legs just kept swinging automatically and looking at the pictures I see my feet barely left the ground but it seemed quite efficient and painless at the time.

Today, back at work, no sign of having run (shuffled) a marathon, feeling good, memo to self - stop eating soon!  Next year is the 50th anniversary of the Rotorua marathon, they are expecting 10,000 people to participate which includes the half, 10 and 5km, more than twice the field this time. That will be well worth signing up for but the organisers may have to be a bit more sorted with things like finish-line support. I knew what to expect this year...nothing...but after having been in events where people had serious health problems at the finish-line, ie, collapsed, died, I still feel very uncomfortable with the lack of obvious support, there was a self-service water tank and cups and powerade but no recovery food nearby, even for purchase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles