Karen writes: back on pedal power...sort of

The hardest part was walking out the door as the whanau was sitting down to dinner.  I had had my protein shake before I left work in order to allow time for the energy to get where it needed to, but I would have much preferred proper food as it steamed invitingly on the plates.  Anyway, out the door at 6pm, dark, cold, but mercifully not raining.  I trotted along in my own world, managed to startle a large rabbit as I ran through Omana Park, and arrived at the spin class to find that it was their first ever, with a whole lot of brand new bikes lined up.  I carefully chose a bike to one side, a row back from the front, all the better to see what was going on but remain incognito since I didn't plan on working too hard.

What do you know, everyone else took the back rows so clever instructor, she simply wheeled the front row of bikes completely away and I was in the front.  Sigh.

It was a good session, I got an excellent workout, if I was honest I would say that it was perhaps at 75% effort, which is actually an improvement for me as it was probably 50% more effort than usual.  I did get cramp in my right calf a few times, had to leap inelegantly off the bike and stretch against a wall, hopefully it is just from putting unusual pressure on muscles not used to such activity.

50 minutes of pedaling and sweating, I got back in my polyprop top, fluoro vest, headlamp and shuffled off into the night much to the bemusement of the others.  I managed to startle the same bunny again at Omana park, I briefly considered what would happen if I picked him up and took him home for the kids, he looked like he had a lot of domestic genes with his multi-coloured coat and size akin to that of a small dog.

I got home and I went to sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles