Karen writes: 3 days of challenge

Wow, back training with a vengeance.  The problem with having a really late (as in 2 months behind where I was last year) start to training is you have to take a risk and hop into a programme at a relatively high level. Last week was the case in point, I did a grueling spin session on Thursday evening, Friday went off to do a 100km bike ride, Saturday 1500m swim (planned on 2km but ran out of energy), and Sunday 17km run. Fortunately the risk seems to have paid off, I didn't injure myself, and while I'm a bit tired today I don't seem to have pushed myself into that state of exhaustion which means I have to take extra time off.   Having said that, 2 days of rest now is probably a good idea so I can be in shape to repeat the effort next weekend.

So, the Friday bikeride.  I took a day of annual leave and the morning started with a trip up to the local school to watch the class assembly for oldest daughter, then home to get ready.  What to take?  It had been a while since I had planned a big effort, had to think about the things needed to make the next 4+ hours on two wheels less uncomfortable. I've discovered a milk drink at about 50km when the energy starts running out helps so one of those in the shirt pocket, shame it would be warm but couldn't help that.  I now cant stand the marmite/honey sandwiches I used to faithfully prepare before every big ride so decided to make a stop at a lovely little deli and fruit shop outside Clevedon, they make nice date and nut rolls. If the date rolls didn't upset me then I figured I could get in a supply to take round Taupo later on instead of the horrible sandwiches.  I remembered also from all those miles ridden for Ironman that I brought iced tea from the same shop, I would pick up some of that too, oh good, starting to sound more like a picnic.  What else, sunshine outside, time to dig out the arm covers, yes, found a pair of those, sunscreen, anti-chafe, lip-balm. Windy now and rain predicted, got the buff scarf and I put it on so that I could just grab the tail end and slip it out from under the helmet when I got too hot. Also in the pocket goes sandpaper because the magnets and connections for the elderly bike computer rust up and I sometimes need to stop and sandpaper them. Water, oh dear, the big flash handlebar bottle has been sitting outside in a bucket since February, dust, sawdust and goodness knows what else, it would be just bottles today and finding somewhere to refill them.

At last out the door.  I pedaled for Clevedon on the theory that I needed easy distance rather than hard hills, why then did I head up Twilight Road which requires kilometers of serious uphill slogging?  It was more of a mental challenge, could I actually do it, yes, and the completion did feel good. Off to Takanini for loop after interminable loop on those horrible truck infested flats before I had had enough and I could head back to Clevedon for the final 45km home via a trip out to Kawakawa bay.  It is always windy on the Kawakawa bay road but the views are spectacular and again it felt like an achievement I could tick off. It was nice to know the legs would keep turning, albeit slowly, and I can now say I can manage 100km.

The swim.  Saturday evening after a busy day with kids and shopping and domestic things, into the wetsuit and off to the empty beach, full tide and and everyone else had gone home.  I tried to practice what I had learned earlier in the week...legs together quick kick from hips with pointed toes.  Oops, calf cramp.  I tried to practice a not-too vigorous rolling stroke in the water, forgot to kick. What did Andrew say about breathing, I was looking too far back? Ach, Im swimming in the sea, unless I look back I get a wave in the face, keep trying. Hmmm... 1500m of swim fail but on the good side I do have 6 weeks to keep practicing and my wetsuit still fits in spite of all my extra kilos which is a real bonus. I leapt out of the water and ran up the beach without doing a face-plant in the sand, good, that has been a problem in the past after being horizontal in the water then suddenly going vertical.

Magazine Bay
Finally Sunday run.  Sluggish and heavy, but determined. Fortunately I hooked up with some Te Puru runners and the talking makes the time go faster, you cant underestimate the value of some good company. Of course it helps when you live in a spectacularly beautiful place too.
So I finished the run, hot, tired, pleased. In the last month I have gone from around 5 hours of training up to nearly 10, and in 3 days completed a sort-of half Ironman.  I'm trying not to think that I have to double those distances over the next few months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles