Karen writes: Preparation for Rotorua marathon

Sensible eating - yeah sort of, a week before a marathon is not a time to cut calories but also not time to go overboard.  I'm not being particularly successful here. In spite of my good intentions, it is far too close to Easter and there is still too much chocolate around, oh I have NO self control.  Good on you Kate, salad and pasta for lunch.

Gear stocktake - new tri-shorts, wore them last night.  They ride a bit lower than my old favourites, so I have to remember to pull the bottom of the legs up so I dont feel like there is a danger of them wandering down. New top - this works ok, no chafing problems so far.  New shoes, got a few km on them now, seem to be fine. Socks, new too, and it took ages to find the pair that I wanted. Buff visor hat, getting a bit shabby but I still love it, these things just dont seem to wear out, they just get ugly. Energy gels, got a few roctanes and some sportbeans already packed in my fuel-belt (with bib tabs) ready to go. Mans hanky, watch, sunglasses, anti-chafe, printed off e-ticket.  Oh, and raincoat and thermal and gloves just in case. I'm ready.

Tapering - I havent. I usually go for a two week taper, cutting training by half two weeks out, and half again in the final week.  Last week however turned out to be my second highest mileage week of the whole programme.  The thing is I have gotten to 191km so far in April and I would like to hit 200 in a month for only the second time ever, that means a few extra km will be tucked in this week.  I'm trying to think less of it being a case of ignoring the tried and true and more along the lines of it being preparation for my next challenge.

Which is my first ultra.  Australia.  August.  50km, I want to do it in 6 hours.  Now this is a little bit scary, especially when I think about how hard I find the last 8 or so km of a marathon.  Getting ready for this new event will mean that covering a full marathon distance will be just another training run. This doesnt sit well with woman who does a maximum of 30km to get ready for the 42. That attitude might just have to change...

Anyway, this Friday Kate and me will catch up in Papakura and join forces to head down to Rotorua, stopping only for food on the way.  Oh, and probably a bit of shopping, cant forget that.   We register with the other 9000 people attending, collect our t'shirts (big question, what colour this year?), raid the samples at the expo, annoy any promoters who make dubious claims by asking tricky questions, find more food and on Saturday we run.  Roll on Saturday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles