Karen writes: Equipment

My next event is right outside my comfort zone, my first 50km ultra-marathon looms on the horizon, it's less than 8 weeks away now.  I took most of last week off training, recuperating from the ankle-injury-thingy and to gather some energy. This week the opportunity to get out and do anything has been a bit sparse, tonight though, tonight I hope for a few km to kick off this latest training endeavor.

While I couldn't run I took some time to look at my equipment.  You know, I have a lot.  T'shirts from various events start building up, most of them are no use at all. The most useful I have ever had was a nicely shaped black shirt from an Australian marathon with a bit of writing on the front that had nothing to do with exercise, I wore it until it almost fell apart.  Most of the t'shirts aren't even suitable for training, funny shapes, nasty fabric, odd sizes, awful colours, and writing too much like bragging. I don't throw them out though, they hold important memories, rather space-consuming memories.

So running clothes.  I came to the conclusion that I have enough.  For a hot run I have a few good singlets, buff visor scarfs are good for hot or cold.  I now have, and this was a birthday present from me to me, a lovely new running skirt.  It is BRIGHT, I feel fabulous wearing it (and a little odd truth be known). The shorts underneath it are a bit horrible and I need to remember to get the sewing machine out to take in a seam to tighten them up so they stop riding up my legs, but this I think is my future in terms of lower garments for running.  Socks, never have enough socks, and the super-fine wicking ones I wear don't tend to last very long, on the list, look for running socks on special.  Shoes, ah well, more of these will be needed soon too.

More importantly are the gadgets and bits and pieces to take running from bearable, to enjoyable.  The GPS watch I have described before.  Love the thing, it will need a chance to update it's satellite data when I get to Australia. While I don't usually carry my own water in a race, during training hydration is another big factor. For shorter runs I use a belt which can take a drink bottle.  I have tried a few over the years and found that the ones where the bottle lies sideways are a pain to get the bottle in and out, and the position seems to make me run in a funny way so my back hurts after a while.  Holders where the bottle is straight up and down make the bottle bang into your back, don't like those either.  A bottle holder where the bottle is on an angle, the belt is wide and padded, and there is a good sized pocket for gels, phone, keys, whistle etc are best. I used this blue one for years, but for some runs I was having to add on a folding bottle for extra water, not such a good option for my extra long runs over the coming weeks.

Until recently I used a camelbak running pack for anything over about 25km.  It did the job, but I hated it.  I hated cleaning it out between uses, I hated the contortions to put the thing on, the plastic flavoured water, the warm mouthful as you sucked in the water in the tubing, not enough room in the little pockets, the hot sweaty back and chafed underarms from the straps.  The solution had to be some sort of compromise between the camelbaks volume, and the bottle belt comfort.  Enter the camelbak twin bottle holder!  I'm in love, two comfortably angled bottle holders, deep enough that the bottle doesn't bounce out, bungy string to attach 'things', nice sized pocket, lovely cushioned and ventilated back pad, and wide padded strap at the front. It fits snugly, I can get 35km on a not too hot day out of two bottles and I wish I had had it sooner.

Other essentials, glasses, will need good ones for the planned 6+ hours in the Australian sun.  I have worn out several pairs of my favourite photo-chromatic sun-glasses, the rubbery stuff perishes, something breaks sooner or later, but they are probably not the best choice anyway as they tend to run towards lighter rather than darker. I did pick up a pair of quite dark purple Peppers at an event not too long ago.  They aren't my ideal, some glasses seem more likely to steam up and the usual trick is just to run faster to get the air moving, or lift them slightly away from your face, but these fall off if you try lifting them away.  Fortunately I have a fabulous sunglasses cord which doubles as a cleaner and a case, very clever, the glasses cant fall completely off me, and help is at hand when they get steamy.  And, most importantly the colour...

Last on my equipment stocktake, help from the pharmaceutical people. Sunscreen, absolutely.  Anti-flamme with arnica for the sore muscle stuff. Chafe-ease the miracle magical cream for anything that rubs together, is at risk of rubbing together, or ever has rubbed together in the past. Suspect in a hot climate, running for much longer than I ever have before lots of all of this stuff will be needed.  Memo to self... DON'T mix them up.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles