Karen writes: 5 days to go to Ironman 2015.

I went for a final run, left while it was still dark on the most beautiful, mild Sunday morning you can imagine to plod out 18 km. That may be the last exercise I do until I get to Taupo.  The sun started to come up, I kept stopping because I thought 'this is it', but then ran a bit more, a bit more, a bit more until suddenly it was there. A run like that reminds you that it isn't just about the events, or the fitness, or the sanity restoration, being outside can be just plain glorious. I had to laugh, it might have been early in the morning but there seemed to be an awful lot of other people out too, taking photos, eating breakfast on various points looking towards the sunrise, or walking.




So there is nothing more to do, no more fitness to be gained, no new equipment or nutrition can be tested. There are just the finishing touches to be made to the packing and organising.  Right now there is what seems like a huge heap of clothing and equipment on the floor of my bedroom, things are on the line hung in places of prominence so I cant miss them and leave them behind, and the bike goes in for a service on Monday morning to make sure than nothing important is going to fall off on that long ride. Am I ready? Mentally yes I am ready, Saturday cant come soon enough now. Physically I am underdone having taken such a minimalist approach to training (average 9.5 hours/week over the last 10 weeks) but I will not be the only person in the field feeling that.  Am I excited? I am getting that way, the joy of Facebook is that pictures come around updating what is happening at the venue, for example there was a series showing the buoys being set up in the swim, that sort of thing absolutely builds up the anticipation.

And Kate has said she is doing Ironman again next year, way to go Kate!

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles