Karen writes: The Serious and the Trivial

Oh Kate.   What can I say apart from thank goodness you got onto that when you did!   The spectre of Melanoma is one to  think about when you spend hours and hours out on the road in the Kiwi sun, and belonging to the generation roasted from an early age in the name of a ‘healthy tan’ (usually with lashings of vegetable oil applied), we aren't the only ones for whom it is a serious consideration.  

Overall I shall remember March 2012 as having had more than it’s fair share of disappointments, starting with our Ironman experience, then a succession of things on the personal front, all with the backdrop of the very unsettled Health Promotion work environment right now, and then Kate’s near miss to top it all off. 

To introduce a bit of trivia, in spite of (or perhaps because of?) all the other serious stuff, possibly the most annoying thing right now is a song which has been stuck in my head since hearing in on Radio NZ National last week, it was someone’s choice for ‘best song ever written’, and the last time I remember listening to it was on vinyl…that says how long ago that was. 

So on the bike the other day racing through the beautiful East Auckland countryside when my brain should have been in full idle “...it was long ago and it was far away (oops, mind that stone)...”,  or out running ticking up the mile after mile to the accompaniment of  “...and it was so much better than it is today...".  Of course it is complicated by the involvement of two voices, a male and female, I’m starting to feel like singing strangers have taken up residence in my head.  I'm not going to be mean enough to specify exactly what the song is in case  I pass the infection on, suffice to say, "help", I need a Meatloaf exorcism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles