Karen writes: Spinning

In the third week post Ironman, its all a distant memory.  Again.  I thought I would be sensible, starting off by taking the whole first week off (except for a run on the Sunday), then taking the second week a bit easy running only short distances. These runs didn't actually turn out to be shorter distances, I felt too good so ended up slotted straight into the 1st week of an 8 week marathon programme (Higdon Senior as usual).  On top of the nearly 37km of running (short run 6km, middle run 12km, and long run 19km), I managed to sneak in two spin sessions.

Now I have a love hate relationship with the spin sessions, the first half hour I absolutely loathe. I look around and think this is all so daft, a whole lot of grown people furiously pedaling away in the corner of a big room, uselessly burning energy to achieve nothing and go nowhere when there is a whole world outside.  I look obsessively at the clock, I count how many minutes to go, calculate how many interval or hill sets can be fitted in, and figure out when can I legitimately develop a cramp and get off the bike and go home.  That last quarter of an hour though everything starts working, I sweat, I feel great, I could keep on going and when I get in the car afterwards I'm buzzing.  I am now very reluctant to miss these sessions as I feel I'm just starting to see the benefits and I don't really want to go back to where I was before when it was all that much harder. I'm keen to see how the ongoing spin work helps my efforts to get stronger in what is now marathon season. If you are getting a bit stagnant with training and haven't tried spin sessions (I say sessions because you need more that one, the first few are likely to be not so much fun) I would say have a go. I'm convinced the spin made some of the difference for my much surprisingly improved Ironman time and there is plenty of evidence around to say that cross training such as spin is of benefit, especially to those of us who are, shall we say, 'mature' runners. In particular it seems that a different sort of exercise works on cardiovascular fitness but reduces pressure on joints from doing too much of a high physical stress exercise like running.

Things to remember about turning up at a spin session:

  • if your session allows try to start a few minutes early so you have warmed your legs up and can get the most out of the class when it starts, most sessions are pretty short.
  • forget about everyone else no matter how easy they make it look or how fit and fab they are, this is about you.
  • spin bike seats are as unforgiving as ordinary bike seats, wear your cycle shorts even if everyone else turns up in itty bitty matching outfit thingys or short shorts.
  • you get hot in a spin session even on a cold day, sport fabric singlets are good.
  • take a small towel to act as a mop, it also can be used as padding across the handlebars when you are down in 'aero' position.
  • it is possible to cheat on some bikes when the instructor says "turn it up", some people don't turn it up as high as others.  Alternatively if you don't feel like working that hard, you don't have to, it's your choice.
  • probably not smart to go to spin straight after a big meal, or alternatively go having eating nothing at all for hours.  I have a milk drink or a banana an hour or so before and if I run or cycle to spin my normal nutrition habits (gels etc) apply.
  • drink.
  • A run to spin, spin, run home combination DOES work as brick training for triathlon, really well actually.
I still absolutely cannot make myself use the spin bike effectively at home, ineffectively in times of desperation...yes.  This is one situation when I really need someone pushing me!  But the benefits seem to be there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles