Karen writes: BUT

Again I wait, early entries open for Ironman at 11.59 for members of Tri NZ, I want to be signed up and paid for so... so... so... actually I don't really know why.  Is it so I know what I will be doing in a years time?  So I have another year of everything I do being viewed in the context of  'being ready for Ironman'.  So I have an excuse to use the new bike?  So I have guaranteed early Sunday morning starts for as far as the mind can imagine?

Perhaps it's because I loved it, being part of Ironman was 'me', and I'm really not ready to roll over and crawl back to the couch yet to just watch other people do it.

I've become a bit of an annoying Ironman evangelist lately, I think everyone should do it.  At spin yesterday a woman asked me how I did in the race, and in my enthusiasm I raved a bit.  Her response was typical.  Responses fall into one of two categories, one category is the slight glazing of eyes which tells me the person feels the normal academic interest of one who sees something a bit odd but probably not overly poisonous in their breakfast cereal, the other category, into which this woman fell, is the "I would love to do that but don't think I can".

My visceral reaction to that last response is "well bl%%dy do it, what are you waiting for, it's wonderful!". That reaction on my part isn't the most constructive so I've learned.  There are plenty of people out there who have a wistful 'what if' thought but no desire to actually translate it into action, but hidden in amongst that group are those who with a bit of encouragement you see the light go on and a serious 'oh perhaps I could' epiphany occur.  Trouble is, 'perhaps I could' is usually followed by a whole list of items starting with 'BUT'. Commonly (in no particular order):
  • But I have no time
  • But I have (injury, chronic illness, etc)
  • But I have (children, husband, cat, assorted significant other responsibilities)
  • But it costs too much money
  • But I'm not fit enough
  • But I CANT swim (at all, fast enough, far enough)
  • That date is taken (hmmm, ironclad excuse that one, maybe next year?)
All I can say is that as far as I can see all of these things apply to almost everyone to different levels, and certainly no less to those who do turn up at the start line.  The difference for those who turn up at the start is that they wanted Ironman sufficiently to go past BUT, and for some it took years.

Anyway, I watched this clip of highlights from the 2014 Ironman.  If you belong to the 'I wish' category, imagine yourself at the different stages, imagine signing the big flag as an athlete, imagine having the armband put on you that says you will be an IRONMAN within the next 48 hours, imagine waiting with everyone else at the swim start, most of whom are just like you, ie, worried. Imagine your number being called out as you head to the tent to start the bike leg, imagine yourself on the bike, zooming along the country road with all of those others, imagine making your way through the crowds on the run.  Lastly, look at the final section of the video at the faces of the finishers and volunteers, look at the expressions, the tears, the joy and I challenge you not to be a little bit affected, and maybe it might add one more tiny bit of weight to the thought that you would possibly like to be an Ironman one day.  Dont forget though, 'one day' left too long has the distressing habit of becoming 'never'.

So today I'm signing up again.  I have my big list of 'but's' already lined up, BUT I'm ready to start ticking them off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still...swim, cycle, run...walk

Karen writes: Swimming pool blues

Karen writes: Obstacles